Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Travelling & Volunteering - i've made up my mind!

I just spent the aftnn holed up in a bookstore,
reading up on volunteering programs, & opportunities...
These days I've been thinking alot, planning my life.

It's been awhile since I've wanted to volunteer,
to help out and experience life in the 3rd world.
This year has brought much light to my mind,
I've contemplated many alternatives, abt what to do with life,
and have made several short-term decisions...

Made up my mind to discover Africa,
to spend a few weeks volunteering in Kenya!
(even deciding on where in Africa to volunteer has been a headache)
Yes! i've decided on the program i wanna go on, the flights etc..
I know we'r not talking abt comfort, ease n development..
No paved roads,
no running water,
no electricity...
I have read n researched on it,
it's not nice n glamourous,
bt that's what i need.

These last 2 years spent in Spain & London
have brought colours to my life,
fascinating european lifestyle, beautiful people,
historical gothic architecture,
crazy fun n flirty people, drunk parties..
I think I might have had enough of the high life~
it's time to devote myself to earth,
go back to basics, explore how the world shld have been..
i know i wld have to forgo my present lifestyle..
I'm ready for it!

Some people smirk at me, even Alberto,
(althou he refuses to let me go alone,
n thus has reluctantly decided to tag along.)
He doesnt understand my need to travel, to depths of unknown..
he thinks travelling round europe, even N.Africa is enough to quench my thirst..

Travelling IS addictive,
the more you do it, the further u wanna go..
it's not about achieving a certain target,
about hitting the list of the places u wanna visit the most,
I really just do wanna see the unknown!
and the further u've travelled,
the less fear u have of the unknown!

Imagine the people speaking weird unknown african tribal language, (Swahili! duhh)
africans walking ard with a cloth around their groins,
animals roaming round the streets...
ahh i can't wait!

And so, I will be heading to the unknown come the new year, January..
n then heading back home round February..
i know i might be miserable going back home
to the 9-5 job, jaded city dweller lifestyle,
but Home is still home...
soon enuff, i will be out there, conquering the world again
heeeeh...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home